Beautiful tropical bamboo from Chiapas, Mexico, with long narrow leaves, ¼” x 3 ½”. Culms grow up to 20′ and are shiny dark brown with full sun, and light brown with less sun exposure. Has a feathery, weeping look early in life. As the plant gets older, it becomes more upright and dense. Requires excellent drainage. Tops will die in temperatures colder than 20 degrees for more than 10 days. Returns to same height if roots have been well-mulched. Does poorly in areas where summer temperatures go over 100 in the daytime and remain above 70 F. at night.
Fun fact: Unlike most other bamboo/grass species, Chusquea genus canes are SOLID all the way through!
- Origin: Mexico
- Minimum Temperature: 20 F.
- Size in climate of origin: 20’ tall, 1.0” in diameter
- Sun/Shade: Half-day of morning sun up to a full-day of sun (3-5)
- Recommended Uses: Screen or specimen plant
- Shooting Season: Spring
- Ideal growing conditions: Half a day of direct sun, plenty of water and humidity, good drainage.
- Acceptable growing conditions: Does not do well in southern states were temperatures go over 100 in the daytime and remain above 70 F. at night.
- Size Locally in open ground: 20’ tall, 1.0” in diameter