A superlative, hardy ornamental, long cultivated in England & Scotland, but newer to the USA. One of the most beautiful and colorful Chusqueas, with dark blue-green nodes on lime-green to yellow culms. Mature plants resemble giant clumps of feathers. They grow 20’ tall at high elevations in Southern Chile and will thrive between 0 and 90 F. It is frost-tolerant and thus widely cultivated in temperate regions. Native to the Valdivian temperate rainforest ecoregion on the west coast of southern South America, in Chile and extending into Argentina. NOT recommended for containers.
Fun fact: Unlike most other bamboo/grass species, Chusquea genus canes are SOLID all the way through!
- Origin: Southern Chile
- Minimum Temperature: 0 F.
- Size in climate of origin: 20’ tall, 1.25” diam
- Sun/Shade: Full day of sun down to a half-day of morning sun (3-5)
- Recommended Uses: Screen, tall colorful specimen
- Ideal growing conditions: Lots of direct sun, plenty of water and humidity, and good drainage in cooler climates with temperatures not over 80 F. and above 5 F. in winter. Prefers cool nights under 70 F.
- Acceptable growing conditions: Will grow in warmer temperatures of the Southeastern U.S., but best in a half-day of shade and in locations that rarely go over 100 F.
- Size Locally in open ground: 20’ tall, 1.25” diam