Arching, soft green culms with occasional white rings grow to 40′ and 3″ in diameter. They tend to have large diameter for their height and develop thick canes without the incredible height of other Phyllostachys. Leaves are olive green in thick, drooping clusters. Cold hardy to -10 degrees and can grow close to full height even with those temperatures in winter. Fast growing giant bamboo with some of the most tasty shoots of any bamboo; grown in China specifically for this purpose. Can perform well and get big canes in smaller/tighter spaces.
- Origin: Central China
- Minimum Temperature: -10 F.
- Size in climate of origin: 40’ tall, 3” diam
- Sun/Shade: All-day sun down to a half-day of morning sun (3-5)
- Recommended Uses: Fast-growing tall screen, excellent edible shoots
- Shooting Season: Spring
- Ideal growing conditions: Lots of direct sun, plenty of water and humidity, good drainage.
- Acceptable growing conditions: Can grow close to full height even in climates with winter temperatures close to its limit at –10 F.
- Special Care:
- Recommended polyethylene plastic root barrier in average soils: 30” x 40 mil
- Size Locally in open ground: 40’ tall, 3” diam