Highly ornamental bamboo from China which is good for screening. Similar to CBQ, but canes are gold with thin green stripes, and the new shoots are occasionally pink. Will grow indoors with 2-3 hours direct sun and misting. A good container plant.
Chimonobambusa is a genus of East Asian bamboo. They are native to China, Japan, Vietnam, Myanmar, and the Himalayas.
- Origin: China
- Minimum Temperature: 15 F
- Size in climate of origin: 25’ tall, 1.5” diam
- Sun/Shade: Bright shade all day (to a half-day of afternoon sun in cooler climates) (2-4)
- Recommended Uses: Screen, decorative specimen, good for narrow spaces
- Shooting Season: Spring
- Ideal growing conditions: Afternoon shade or filtered sun all day, cool temperatures, high humidity, plentiful water, and good drainage.
- Acceptable growing conditions: Will grow in more sun, especially in cooler climates, but leaves tend to yellow. Can be grown near the ocean with salt air. Ok for narrow spaces.
- Special Care: Does not like constant heat of over 70 F. and prefers cooler nights. It is particularly sensitive to dry conditions and may drop its leaves if watering is missed.
- Recommended polyethylene plastic root barrier in average soils: 24” x 40 mil
- Size Locally in open ground: 15’ tall, 1” in diam
- Size locally in contained spaces: In an 18-24” wide space with long length, can grow 8-10 in height. In a 3’ wide space, may grow to 12’ tall.