The most common and popular bamboo in much of the U.S, it is easy to grow, drought resistant, and great for screens and hedges, as well as containers. Dense light green foliage covers the plant from top to bottom. Culms are light green with a white node ring, turning more yellow if exposed to direct sun. Distinguishing characteristic is the short, knobby, bulging internodes at the base of its culms, adding interest. The usual height here in California is between 10’ and 15′ with 2” diameter culms, but it can reach 30′ in its native environment. Because it can spread aggressively, it forms screens rapidly, and good containment is highly recommended. It is hardy to 0 degrees and shoots in the spring.
- Origin: East China (introduced to Japan and Taiwan long ago)
- Sun/Shade: Full-day of sun down to a half-day of morning sun (3-5)
- Minimum Temperature: 0 F.
- Recommended Uses: Dense screen, pruned hedge, or container plant.
- Size in climate of origin: 30’ tall, 2” diam
- Shooting Season: Spring
- Ideal growing conditions: Lots of direct sun, plenty of water and humidity, good drainage.
- Acceptable growing conditions: This is one of the more versatile and hardy bamboos, able to survive in both drought and soggy conditions, and in anything from mixed shade to full hot desert sun. Much shade or drought will slow down growth and reduce ultimate height some. Can be pruned to any height for hedge, even down to 3’.
- Special Care: Can trim off lower branches to show off irregular knobby culms. Containment recommended!
- Size Locally in open ground: 15’ tall, 1” in diam
- Size locally in contained spaces: In a 18” wide space with a long length, may reach 15-20’ in height. In a 24” wide space, may reach 15’ in height. To reach 15’ it would need about a ___ wide space.
- Time required locally to fill in a screen, with most favorable growing conditions and care:
starting with 1 gals, 3’ apart: 3 shooting seasons for dense screen, 15’ tall
starting with 5 gals, 3’ apart: 2 shooting seasons for dense screen, 15’ tall
starting with 15 gals, 3’ apart: 1 shooting season for dense screen, 15’ tall