A cultivar of PHAJ with a soft green stripe in the sulcus on light yellow culms and occasional white stripes on the leaves. Unique to this bamboo is the extremely variable internode length and occasional bulging internodes, giving the canes a knobby look. Similar to Ph. aurea in its rapid growth, hardiness, versatility and resilience.
- Origin: China
- Minimum Temperature: 0 F.
- Size in climate of origin: 30’ tall, 2” diam
- Sun/Shade: All-day sun down to a half-day of morning sun (3-5)
- Recommended Uses: Dense screen, pruned hedge, or container plant
- Shooting Season: Spring
- Ideal growing conditions: Lots of direct sun, plenty of water and humidity, good drainage.
- Acceptable growing conditions: This is one of the more versatile bamboos, able to survive in both drought and soggy conditions, and in anything from mixed shade to full hot sun. Shade will slow down growth and reduce ultimate height some. Can be pruned to any height for hedge, even down to 3’.
- Special Care: Can trim off lower branches to show off unusual knobby culms. Containment recommended!
- Recommended polyethylene plastic root barrier in average soils: 30” x 40 mil
- Size Locally in open ground: 15’ tall, 1” in diam
- Size locally in contained spaces: In a 18” wide space with a long length, may reach 15-20’ in height. In a 24” wide space, may reach 15’ in height. To reach 15’ it would need about a ___ wide space.
- Time required locally to fill in a screen, with most favorable growing conditions and care:
starting with 1 gals, 3’ apart: 3 shooting seasons for dense screen, 15’ tall
starting with 5 gals, 3’ apart: 2 shooting seasons for dense screen, 15’ tall
starting with 15 gals, 3’ apart: 1 shooting season for dense screen, 15’ tall