A handsome striped form with occasional green stripes on vivid yellow culms. Grows 40′ tall and 3″ in diameter. Wood is of high quality and shoots are tasty. It is characterized by the grainy quality of the culm surface which can be felt by running the edge of your thumbnail up and down the culm surface. It is hardy to -5 degrees and is an exceptionally vigorous runner, so we recommend using 60 mil polypropylene plastic root barrier.
- Origin: China
- Minimum Temperature: -5 F.
- Size in climate of origin: 40’ tall, 4” diam
- Sun/Shade: All-day sun down to a half-day of morning sun (3-5)
- Recommended Uses: Screen, grove or specimen, useful wood, edible shoots
- Shooting Season: Spring
- Ideal growing conditions: Lots of direct sun, plenty of water and humidity, good drainage. Does best where temperatures at least occasionally fall to freezing (32 F.) in the winter.
- Acceptable growing conditions: Tolerates clay soils, but soggy soil conditions should be avoided during first few months after transplanting. Tolerant of hot, dry desert conditions if receives plenty of water.
- Special Care: Very vigorous runner which can push through thinner barriers – be sure to use thickest barrier available, preferably 60-80 mil. Not good for narrow spaces.
- Recommended (minimum) polyethylene plastic root barrier in average soils: 30” x 60 mil
- Size Locally in open ground: 30-40’ tall, 2-4” in diam